0 Comment / April 2, 2014
Eli Helmuth is a new resident in Ciales, Puerto Rico previously from Estes Park, CO. He has worked as a professional mountain guide and climbing instructor worldwide since 1989 and is one of the first certified rock guides in the U.S. Learning to surf and developing the sport of rock climbing in PR are two of his long-term goals.
From Eli’s Athlete profile with Rab:
Eli Helmuth has turned a passion for the mountains into a lifelong pursuit, playing and working in the mountains around the world.
For well over two decades Eli has been in the fortunate position of mixing guiding work and personal climbing and skiing. He has a great deal of professional experience – in 1991 he became only the third exam certified rock guide in the US and he is the 18th IFMGA Guide in the US. This has led to training and certifying over 400 AMGA guides.
Although Eli loves helping others to understand how to stay safe in the mountains, life isn’t all exams. Eli has been on expeditions to mountains all over North America, South America and the Himalayas.
When closer to home he can be found on whatever is in condition, whether it’s bouldering, sport climbing, trad climbing, backcountry skiing or mixed climbing. This all round approach means that Eli now has over 40 first ascents in Rocky Mountain National Park to his name, up to M10 and 5.12d.
- Freedom or Death (V 5.12), Liberty Bell, Washington Pass – first ascent
- Grizzly (5.12d WI5+ M10 R), Bear’s Den, RMNP – first ascent
- Blood Feud (5.12d), The Bookend, Estes Park Valley – first ascent
- First Born (V 5.8 70°, 1800m), Fathers and Sons Wall, Denali – first ascent
- Yellow Wall (5.11b R, 300m), The Diamond, Long Peak
- West Rib (IV, 2800m), Denali